What is hot in accountancy recruitment right now?
A recent article in Accountancy Age gave the team at Marc Daniels some food for thought on how we would define the current local accountancy and finance market. Here are the findings:
- Regulation changes are meaning a demand for finance candidates with strong technical skills and regulation experience. Financial accountants with knowledge of reporting standards should also be in a strong position.
- Rapid technology advancement is becoming a way of life. Unsurprisingly, facilitating technological chances is now a part of most finance roles. More automation means roles are also less about pulling together data, and more about interpreting data into meaningful ways that add value.
- Sector-specific skills create niches, particularly in FMCG, Telco, and IT software businesses who tend to ask for industry specific experience.
- More companies are recognising work-life balance and offering jobs that allow that through flexible hours and working from home options.
Top Accountancy & Finance roles in demand in the Thames Valley:
- Technical finance roles are having a minor surge this year implying a shortage of appropriately skilled candidates.
- There is also a demand for project accountants that possess strong systems and commercial skills.
- A financial planning and analysis background is highly desirable.
- A large number of clients are recruiting finalist and newly qualified accountants into financial analyst type vacancies.
- Technical finance senior candidates have also been in high demand, with various technical roles on the market.
If you were going to brush up skills, these would be well worth doing:
- IFRS knowledge (in noticeable demand)
- Can you gain experience of working inter departmentally to achieve a common goal? This is becoming essential reading on CVs!
- Technical skills – software, systems…
- Strong soft skills – such as those to do with communication and having a can-do attitude
What makes a stand out candidate at the moment? Any of these four aspects are particularly appealing:
- Big Four qualified candidates
- A recent ACA qualification
- Stable CVs that display constant progression
- Group finance experience
Our consultants are on hand to discuss your own situation to help you achieve your career ambitions. Why not give us a call?
READING: 01189 072444 MAIDENHEAD: 01628 788588
WEST LONDON: 01895 540044